Friday, December 23, 2011

Disney's TREASURE PLANET

     Since I've been writing my space opera, I've also been reading a lot of old sword and planet novels for inspiration, and to help put me "in the mood," so to speak. Tonight I decided to finally watch Disney's animated film of some years back, Treasure Planet. Now, this is not at all a review of the film, but a short commentary on it. The movie was a lot of fun, though I'm still scratching my head, wondering how the characters were able to stand on the decks of their pirate-ship spacecraft and breathe the vacuum of space!
      Treasure Planet is not so much a reimagining of Robert Louis Stevenson's immortal classic, Treasure Island, as it is a science-fantasy remake of, and an homage to, the 1931 film starring Jackie Cooper and Wallace Beery. Why, the character of "Cyborg" John Silver not only looks a lot like Beery, it even sounds somewhat like him, too. And the character of Bones bears a close resemblance to Lionel Barrymore. Indeed, even the ending of the movie (quite different from the novel) was cribbed from that classic MGM film.
     Treasure Planet is pure entertainment. I enjoyed it for what it is, for its artistry and imagination, and the wonderful ride it provided. My only complaint is the annoying robot Ben, voiced by an over-the-top Martin Short who was doing his best imitation of a manic Robin Williams off his meds.

Next up, I plan to watch Disney's Atlantis.

STAY TUNED!