Saturday, August 14, 2021

A REWARDING SURPRISE

z

Z . . . I really enjoyed this effective little horror film. Smart, tight script, beautifully filmed and directed, with solid performances by an excellent cast. It's about a little boy - creative, imaginative but troubled - who has a monster for an imaginary friend. Or is Z imaginary? This film had me wondering if it was a psychological drama, a supernatural horror or a straight-up monster flick. Atmospheric and suspenseful, and with a few neat twists involving the boy's mother. The film offers no easy answers until the climax and the final scene, when all is made clear. This is another film I missed when it first appeared, and I decided to watch it, thinking I was going to see some schlocky "monster in the closet" knock-off. How wrong I was!



 

No comments: